I have been meaning to post for like a week now but oh well. Last night I went to a crop(an hour away) Im all set up ready to make some pretties........And I figure out I left with out pictures......Im a genius I tell you :)I made this a few days ago...need to journal about the economy and how its hitting me right where it hurts....my art budget :( Desperate times call for desperate measures.....I have a ton of stuff to post on etsy......now i just need to get around to photographing it all!!! I made this at my friends shower last weekend......I never feel like there are enough hours in the day......possibly because i get up super late but who cares! Heres the close up of this one.....You can really see the texture in the piece.....Im super excited to start applying all of this new found knowledge to some mix media paintings. Im starting a 3 piece canvas set tonight or tomorrow that im super excited about, more on that soon :) I think that taking Dinas art journaling class really made me realize how much i love no holds barred mixed media. I love scrapbooking, dont get me wrong, just some times its not dirty and gritty enough for me. Maybe I need to make my scrapbook pages grittier......Note to self on that one.
Tip of the day: The thing I like most about classes besides the techniques are the supply lists....strange I know. But It makes sense because I like new things lol. I know I really haven't been posting supply lists in my blog posts lately so I thought I would post what I have been using in my art journal pages Lately :)
1. the journal Im using is from Hobby lobby. Its spiral bound and the paper weight is 100 lbs. I think the paper is still to flimsy for what I have been doing in it so i will prob switch to a higher weight soon.
2. Gesso- I have been using the big cheap tub from hobby lobby, and I cant stand it. Its so runny its hard to get a good texture or even coverage with it. I will be buying golden soon. i was just trying to find it local and I haven't been successful yet.
3. Water soluble oil pastels by Portfolio- I bought these a long time ago at office depot( I wanna say they cost under $10 for 24) and they sat in a box (big surprise there) Then while taking this class i pulled them out and totally fell in love with them.....they shade and contour so beautifully! I have been using them like crazy.
4. Adirondack color wash- I really like these. The color is way richer then glimmer mist. I read online that you can water down the color Im gonna try that soon. The blue I used on the now time aj page is called Stream which is my fav.
5. Liquitex heavy body acrylic paint and golden acrylic paint- I have always used cheapo paints or making memory paint before recently because cheap=fun, but these paints are so worth the extra money.....You can thin them out mix them up splat them on or whatever makes you happy!!!
6. Above is a rubber texture comb- I found mine at Michael's(for cheaper then the link i provided) in the stenciling department :) It makes awesome textures in paint and Gesso.
7. Homemade ranger mists- How to make them here- they give a more subtle color then the color wash but still more vibrant then glimmer mist.......Dont get me wrong I like glimmer mist for scrapbook pages but the colors dont seem to hold up as well to the layering I do in art journaling.....Dina mentioned this in her class.....I didnt believe her because I love my glimmer mists, but trial and error proved HER right :)
8. Golden Matte reg gel medium- I have used this for all kinds of things the past few years and in art journaling it has become invaluable. Its basically a glue but you can use it on top of things as well as under them
9. Wax paper- Donna mentioned In the class I took of hers that this is what she uses for a paint pallet. I had always used paper plates, cardboard or old fashion lunch trays, but after giving this a try I really like it. The paint doesnt seem to dry on it as fast, you can mix water or other mediums into your paint, its cheap, and you can throw it away :)
10. Paint brushes- I use cheap throw away foam brushes for gel medium, gesso, and paint(sometimes) I have found that I like this Filbert brush the best, and I use it for all kinds of applications(except gel medium or glue) I have other sized brushes that I use for other things too, but I'm not a painter so i dont really know what they're for. In my opinion if it works use it, if it doesn't work find something that does!
11. Manila tags- I have had these sitting around since I first started scrappbooking and I have never really used them for anything except demoing techniques. Dina mentioned that instead of wasting the paint on her pallet she dips tags in the leftovers and voila randomly painted tags to use as you wish.......I love this idea and I now have a million painted tags lol.
OK this post is a million miles longs so ill leave it to be continued.......Hopefully this gives you some new ideas to try :)
Newsletter Sign Up
4 days ago